Enhance Your Education
Distinctive Programs in Biochemistry
Knox College is a national leader in involving students in advanced undergraduate research. Opportunities for students in biochemistry include:
- Independent Study courses
- Individual and team-based projects
- Collaboration with faculty, co-authoring of journal articles
- Ford Research Fellows Program
- Hughes Research Fellowships in the Natural Sciences
- College Honors (advanced research and thesis, oral defense with outside examiner)
- Merck/AAAS Undergraduate Science Research Program
- National Conference on Undergraduate Research
- State, regional and national conferences in specific disciplines
Recent College Honors
- "Alpha-Hydroxy Phosphonic Acids via Lesquerella Oil," John Salvatore Cusimano '13.
- "Using Chemical Denaturants to Investigate the Stability and Folding/Unfolding Pathway for the Tetrameric GrpE1-112 Protein," Shirley Marie Dehn, '11.
- "Investigation of the Unfolding/Folding Process of the GrpE1-112 Tetrameric Deletion Mutant Protein," Kelby Mitchell Okada, '09.
- "Characterization of the Effects of Acute Ethanol Exposure on Signaling Pathways in Response to LPS Stimulus in RAW 264.7 Cells," Michele Christine Darrow, '09.
- "Using the GrpE Protein from E. coli. to Investigate Alpha Helix Length Requirements for Four-Helix Bundle Formation," Nalin U.G. '07.
- "Microscopic and Genetic Identification and Characterization of Centrin in Phascolosoma agassizii (phylum Sipuncula)," Rebecca Blackburn, '06.
- "Probing Four-Helix Bundle Stability in the GrpE Protien via Internal Deletion Mutants," Tilemahos Spyratos, '06.
- "'Hypothermia Differentially Regulates LPS Induced Genes in RAW 264.7 Cells': The Role of MAP Kinases in iNOS and COX-2 Regulation," Ayush Giri, '06.
Off-Campus Programs and Internships
Knox actively encourages students in all disciplines to apply for off-campus study and internships. For students interested in biochemistry, these have included:
- University of Aberdeen exchange program
- Barcelona program
- Besançon program
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Denmark's International Study Program
- Argonne National Laboratories: All sciences; recent projects include nuclear chemistry, superconductivity and energy resources
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory: Natural and social sciences, specializing in interdisciplinary work in biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics, as well as economics, political science and sociology-anthropology
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Northern Regional Research Laboratory
- Illinois Department of Agriculture, Animal Disease Laboratory
Few experiences can prepare you better for life after Knox than conducting an internship. As a Knox biochemistry student, you can conduct an internship for course credit either during the academic year or the summer, working closely with a faculty supervisor while engaging in fieldwork and completing an academic paper. Recent internships by biochemistry students include:
- Summer Medical Missions trip, Cameroon, Africa. Sarah Johnson, '07, biochemistry major.
- Intern, Microbiology & Molecular Genetics Dept, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan. Cameron Lilly, '06, biochemistry major.
- Internship with Dr. Bonnie Williams, Galesburg, Illinois. Lei Zhang, '06, biochemistry major.
- Intern, Burgland Drugs, Galesburg, Illinois. Claire Matekaitis, '05, biochemistry and chemistry major.
- Sales Intern, Tropical Isle, Galesburg, Illinois. Andria Widaman, '05, chemistry and biochemistry major.
Apply to Knoxundefined
Knox's Team X-Ray places second among 15 liberal arts colleges that competed in an intense regional contest involving programming teams from colleges and universities in five states.
History Professor Danielle Fatkin shares artifacts from her archaeological dig in Jordan and provides a lab environment for students to develop skills in analyzing ancient pottery.
Campus event is affiliated with the national Bioneers movement, which focuses on exploring solutions for the world's most pressing environmental and social challenges.
The project I am working on has given me the chance to utilize a lot of what I have learned in a new setting and on a larger scale. I am Joey, Senior, and...
Meet More Knox People